Newport, NP20 4HX.
Click to view
Handpost Hotel was originally built in the early 1800s as a
lodge. The lodge was used by post-men travelling from the Welsh
valleys to Newport docks.
between 1885 and 1911,
Cemetery Road was re-named Bassalleg Road and the Handpost was
Click to view larger map
1840s onwards, the expansion of the railways meant that horses
were used less and less for transporting mail across the
the early 1900s The Handpost was re-built (almost as it is
today). The introduction of trams around the town took
away the need for horse drawn post-men, and the Handpost became
the 1930s motor vehicles dominated the trade. As we can
see in this 1955 picture, the tram lines had been replaced by
roads and the water trough replaced by bollards.
this time, Stow Park Service Station was built to accommodate
the increase in traffic.
Service Station remained until the early 1980s when it was
demolished and replaced by a purpose built block of flats.
Greene King purchased the building from Punch Retail.
September 2016, Nicky Mackenzie bought the lease and plans to
increase the food trade and provide accommodation above, once
more making it:
Lunch bookings to Live Music,
give us a call on
or fill in our on-line enquiry form
for further information.